Friday, December 2, 2011

Diva Christmas Ornament

I got an ornament last year at an ornament exchange that I just LOVE!  It is perfect for me, it has feathers and sparkles.  If I could wear feathers and sparkles every day, I would.  Somehow, even though I live in Texas, that is not acceptable.  I don't think that the people at McDonalds would understand if I came through the drive thru with feathers in my hair.  Although, come to think of it, they've probably seen worse. 

Anyway, this ornament was so cute and turned out to be easy to copy.  Here is the finished product:

It is even cuter in person.  Here's how you make it:

You need to have
Glass balls
Sparkly Tulle
Pearls
Feathers
Ribbon
Glue gun

First you take the silver top off the glass ball and set it aside. 



Then you put the tulle and the pearls inside the ball like this:


Once the ball is filled, replace the silver top on the ornament.  Then, measure a piece of feather boa around the top of the ball and cut it to size.  Using your hot glue gun, put glue around the top and press the feathers on. 

Next, get 2 types of coordinating ribbon. I used wired ribbon for one to add shape to the bow.  Make a bow using both ribbons layered.  (HINT:  If you are hopeless at making bows, get the "Bowdabra".  I got one at WalMart the other day and it was so much easier than making one without.  I can't believe I've wasted so much time trying to tie bows without it.)

Once your ribbon is tied into a bow, hot glue it onto your ornament.  I also hot glued an acrylic gem in the center of my bow for a little extra bling.  Add a hook and you are done!  It is so cute hanging on my tree.  I even tried this method with different color tulle and ribbon for a variety of diva ornaments that I'm going to give as gifts.  Check out my leapord one:


If you don't like the sparkly tulle, you can put experiment with putting other things inside the glass balls too!  I'd love to hear what other people have used to make ornaments with these glass balls, they are so easy and fun to use. 

3 comments:

  1. Very cute! It even seems like a fun project to get the kids involved in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For our wedding favors (we got married Dec. 23), we made glass ball ornaments with (fake) holly leaves inside and a big red bow. Still on our tree today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! I will be sharing your tutorial with our Bowdabra Facebook fans. I think they will love it. ~ Sarah Forhan, Bowdabrablog.com Designer.

    ReplyDelete