Monday, January 9, 2012

Owl Picture

Have you noticed lately that everyone is obsessed with Owls?  I mean, everywhere you go, there are owls.  There are all sorts of Owl clothes, Owl housewares, Owl toilet paper, you name it!  If they come out with an Owl Tampon, I am done. 

Because of this popularity, I decided to capitalize on this trend and make an owl picture.  And, I confess, I saw one similar to this at a craft fair and thought, "I can make that myself!", so I'm shamelessly copying someone else's idea.  My apologies to this person, but since I don't personally know them, it doesn't count, right? 

Anyway, to start here's what you need:

Canvas any size (I used 11x16)
Coordinating scrap book papers, at least 4 different prints
Mod Podge
Black sharpie
Scissors
Tulle
I chose pink themed paper because I'm going to put it out around Valentine's Day. 

First paint your canvas in whatever background color you want.  I always opt for a "sky blue", but you can go with anything that suits your decor.

All you do is free hand draw the shapes of the owl above and then cut out of the scrapbook paper.  It was so simple.  Here is where I became thankful that the trend right now is Owls and not Praying Mantis' or something with too much detail.  As long as you don't feel the need to detail every feather, owls are easy.  And for the eyes, it helps to have a circle punch, but if you don't just use a quarter for the eyeball and a shot glass for the white part.  I'm sure everyone has that laying around their house, right? 

*Tip: make sure that the scrapbook paper you pick is not all too busy.  I found out the hard way that if I get all busy prints, the owl disappears, so get some with print and some that are more solid.  Then, just eyeball it to see what works for which cutout. 

Then, using your Mod Podge, glue the paper to the canvas as it's pictured here.  Once you are done, get out your trusty black sharpie and draw in the lines.  You can also leave the lines off, but your owl is a little vague...I wanted my owl sharp and defined.  I'm vague enough for both of us.  Once that is finished, you can spray a sealant on it if you want, but it's not required.  It'll still hold up fairly well without it, so if you are  too lazy or cheap to use a sealant, no worries. 

At the top of the canvas, take some scissors and poke two holes, evenly spaced, and thread tulle through.  I used a measuring tape and poked a hole at 4" and 7".  Then tie a bow on the front, while leaving enough in the back to hang it from a hook on the wall.  This way, you can either hang it or prop it up and the bow finishes it off in the front. 

That's it!  So easy and cute.  And, once you've done it once, you can experiment with adding more and more owls.  Here's the same concept with a little different spin:

Owl be seeing you!  Have a great day...

No comments:

Post a Comment